Want to know the best mopping formula solutions for your O-Cedar Spin Mop? This post reviews popular cleaners like Tide powder, Fabuloso, bleach, dishwasher pods, and more.
This post contains affiliate links. Read more about my link usage here.
It all started with a new mop.
Last fall, I bought the O-Cedar Spin Mop that had been all the rage on social media. I wasn't sure my current floor cleaning routine was cutting it and wanted to give this method a try.
Let it suffice to say that I was right.
After I posted this video on Tik Tok, it went viral almost immediately. I'm currently sitting at over 15 million views between two posting of this video on my account – that's crazy to me!
This led to me making 5 separate videos where I tried different mopping formulas for my new mop. I genuinely wanted to see which one worked best, since I was fairly new to mopping this way. So, each Thursday (on my Journey to Clean vacuum/mop day), I tested 3 formulas to see what I really loved. I showed “the pour” in each example to see just how much dirt that formula took off the floor and ranked the formulas based off of my experience. Those have been super popular as well…from those, I've gotten a lot of requests to make one big post of which formulas I thought were best. Ask and you shall receive!
I've got all 15 mopping formulas I tried on my LVP flooring ranked below. These range from literal plain water to some more interesting combinations that were recommended by viewers. (If you saw these on Tik Tok, some of the ratings did change a little, mostly because of hindsight and experience after I made the video.) If you want to see the original videos, they're on my Tik Tok (labeled “favorite mopping formulas”).
Affiliate links used in this post. Read more about my link usage policies.
The Best O-Cedar Mopping Formula Solutions
15. Vinegar, rubbing alcohol, Fabuloso (1/2 cup each)
- (This one was a viewer request.)
- Smelled absolutely terrible – those scents don't mix well at all!
- Didn't really dry any faster
- Worst cleaning combo I tried
14. 1/3 cup Murphy's Oil Soap
- Smelled kind of funky (almost waxy)
- Ok cleaning – nothing special
- Left a little bit of residue on the floor
13. 1 cup white vinegar
- Seemed to make floors overly streaky
- Smelled awful, even an hour later
- One of the worst cleaning results
12. 1/2 cup bleach
- Didn't clean as well as I expected
- I was paranoid the whole time I'd get it on a rug or clothing
- Had to go back over with water to make sure I didn't bleach anything
- Amazing at killing almost anything on your floor!
- Shouldn't be mixed with most chemicals, can cause a toxic reaction.
11. 1/2 cup Pine Sol
- Cleaned ok I guess? Nothing special.
- Not a strong smell
- Anti-microbial and antibacterial
10. Generous squirt of Dish Soap (I used Mrs. Meyers)
- Smelled great
- Cleaned well
- Left a lot of residue/streakiness
8. 1/2 cup Odoban
- Kills bacteria (as a concentrate, not as powerful when diluted)
- Smelled nice
- No residue!
6. 1/4 cup (about a scoop) powdered Oxi Clean
- No real smell
- Cleaned really well
- Doesn't disinfect
5. 1/2 cup Windex
- Cleaned incredibly well
- No residue
- Slow drying (I was surprised!)
4. 1/2 cup Mrs. Meyer's Lavender Concentrate
- Smelled great
- Cleaned well – got a little sudsy (which I like)
- Tiniest bit of residue (I probably could have used less and still cleaned effectively)
3. Plain Hot Water
- Basically free
- Actually pretty effective
- O-Cedar claims their mop removes 99% of germs and bacteria with just water
2. 1/4 cup Totally Awesome cleaner
- Neutral smell (clean, not overpowering)
- Cleaned incredibly well – one of the best I tried!)
- Super inexpensive
- Doesn't disinfect though
1. 1/2 cup Mr. Clean
- Cleans so well
- Smells amazing
- No residue
So, we can sum up this whole 3-month mopping formula experiment with a recommendation of one of the oldest cleaning products on the shelves. 🙂 I would 100% recommend Mr. Clean as your mopping formula solution – that's what I've used since the experiment ended! But, rest assured, in a pinch you can use most of the combinations on this list with great results.
Another huge recommendation with mopping is consistency – don't let that dirt build up! If you're in need of a free cleaning schedule to keep up with this, I've got you covered – you can grab my long-time favorite schedule here.