Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
Make Cinnamon Sugar Cookies with a cream cheese swirl and cinnamon sugar icing! These are great for Christmas baking.
I'm back with the final recipe in my little Christmas Cookie series today!
This recipe is actually a twist on one I've had for years. I love making these sugar cookies anytime I need a simple cookie that's easy to decorate for a party or holiday. I thought, this year, I'd put a little spin on them – run a layer of cinnamon cream cheese throughout to make them really pretty and tasty. The result was gorgeous!
The layer of cinnamon ended up giving it this pretty marbled look. Plus, it added such a fun element of spice to the already sweet cookies. This is really simple too – if you can make cinnamon rolls, you can make these!
Simply roll out the sugar cookies (recipe below) and spread a mixture of cinnamon and cream cheese on top.
Then, roll it like a cinnamon roll…
…and gently (using lots of flour) roll that back out. Once you cut the cookies out…
They'll bake into this pretty marbled look!
I am terrible at piping on royal icing, so I simply dipped mine in a cinnamon sugar glaze. Super easy and yummy.
Let dry on a cookie rack and you have such a festive holiday cookie – so perfect to leave for Santa!
Here's your recipe.
Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- For glaze...
- 2 cups powdered sugar or blended granulated sugar for a crunchy texture
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together butter, sugar, egg/yolk, and extracts. Slowly (1/2 cup at a time) pour in dry ingredients and mix well. Knead into a firm dough.
- Roll dough out on a large floured surface. Mix together cream cheese and 1 tbsp cinnamon and spread on cookie dough. Roll dough (like a cinnamon roll) and, gently/with lots of flour, roll out the dough flat to 1/4" thickness.
- Cut cookies and placed on a greased (or parchment paper lined) cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes, until tops start to brown. Remove and let cool.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, cinnamon, and milk in a small bowl. Dip tops of cooled cookies in the glaze and allow to dry on a cookie rack.
I hope this little series inspired your holiday baking just a little bit! You can check out the other posts from this series below…
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
And check out my other recipes here!
Happy New Year and welcome to 2019! I am having trouble locating the grocery lists even thou i signed up for the printables from your site.
Sorry about that, Mary! Would you mind emailing me at leslie @ lambertslately dot com? I’ll be glad to help.