Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are the ultimate Christmas sweet treat! This easy recipe combines a rich chocolate cookie with a creamy peppermint filling. Best served warm!
Alright - there's a little bit of a requirement if you make today's Christmas cookies.
They absolutely, positively must be served warm.
I can't even tell you how ooey gooey these Chocolate Peppermint Lava Cookies are. Imagine a super rich chocolate cookie with a kind of fresh, creamy center. Think of a York Peppermint Patty, but so much better. Grab a big glass of milk and Santa's absolutely set! 🙂
Don't like peppermint? You can totally skip the extract and candy and still make a super yummy cream-filled cookie. You could even add in different flavors if the chocolate/peppermint combo just isn't your speed. We made a couple of peanut butter ones as well with this batch - they're great too! Making this a double whammy of chocolate cookie and chocolate filling would be so delicious. Use your imagination - this recipe could be made with so many different variations.
Check out the recipe...
Chocolate Peppermint Lava Cookies
Affiliate links used.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Mix in vanilla and eggs. Slowly pour the dry ingredients in (about ½ cup at a time) and mix just until blended. Place dough in the fridge.
- Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and peppermint extract for the filling. Fold in crushed peppermints. Place mixture in the fridge and let both filling and dough chill for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Take dough and form into 2" discs on a cookie sheet. Spoon filling onto a disc to cover about half of the cookie. Place another disc on top (like a sandwich) and gently press edges together so that no filling is showing. Place balls 2-3" apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes, until dough no longer looks wet and tops start to brown.
- Serve warm.