This Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken & Rice uses ingredients like cream soup and cheese to make a simple, crowd-pleasing weeknight dinner that even kids love! This recipe can be prepped in an electric pressure cooker in just minutes.
Last week, I talked a little bit about one of my favorite money and resource-saving things to do in the kitchen: Chopped Challenge week.
One week a month (or whenever I finish up the last of my freezer meals), I plan 3-4 meals that are made with nothing but the things that we have in our kitchen. Sometimes it can be a little bit of a challenge, but it's actually kind of fun! I've always secretly wanted to compete on Chopped, so this is kind of my way of living that dream out. 😉 Plus, this is a great way to save a little bit of money on a grocery bill and make sure you're not wasting resources in your home.
Sometimes, I find a great recipe when doing our monthly Chopped Challenge – and this was one of them! One night a couple of weeks ago, I had about a pound of chicken and rice – and a whole bunch of randomness in my fridge and pantry. I whipped up this Easy Cheesy Chicken & Rice and everybody in our family (kids included) gobbled it up! It was really delicious, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you guys today.
Instant Pot Easy Cheesy Chicken & Rice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups white rice
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Chop chicken into 1" pieces. Set your Instant Pot on the saute setting and add 2 tbsp butter; melt. Add chicken and brown for 5-8 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Once chicken is browned, add onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add rice and stir until coated in butter. Cook rice for 2-3 minutes, until it starts to turn golden and smell fragrant. Add chicken broth.
- Lock lid on your Instant Pot and set for manual cooking, high pressure, for 8 minutes. Once cook cycle is over, quick release the pressure.
- Once cook cycle is over and lid is released, stir in soup and cheese until melted and creamy.
You could definitely sneak a few veggies into this one as well – carrots, peas, broccoli, or mushrooms would be wonderful, I just didn't have anything like that on hand. This is a great recipe to make your own – add your favorite spices too!