You eat with your eyes first, right?
So, especially for fun holidays like Valentine's Day, I love to make a dessert that's both pretty and tasty. This is one of those holidays that totally encourages you to make food pretty…take full advantage of it! And, with this Gooey Neapolitan Brownie Squares recipe, it's not that difficult to make a dessert that is just gorgeous.
The chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry layers throughout this dish give it both amazing flavor and color. While these are a great treat for Valentine's Day, this recipe could be made year-round and even adapted to the flavors you love! Integrating different fruit flavors (orange, lemon, or pineapple would be yummy) and colors (red velvet or cinnamon) gives this recipe an endless amount of possibilities. Get creative!
As for this combination, I used the classic Neapolitan mix of chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. While making three separate batters sounds kind of daunting, don't let it scare you – they were easy to whip up and used basically the same ingredients. Here's how I did it!
Gooey Neapolitan Brownie Squares
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup strawberry gelatin
- In a large bowl, mix 1 stick butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, salt, and flour until blended and smooth.
- Melt chocolate chips and 1 tbsp butter in 20 second increments until melted, stirring each time. Mixture should be glossy and smooth once melted.
- Separate batter into three separate bowls. In one bowl, add the melted chocolate and cocoa powder and mix well. In a second bowl, add gelatin mix and blend.
- Layer batters in a greased 8" glass dish. Press chocolate batter into bottom of the pan, topped by evenly-spread vanilla mixture, and finished with evenly-spread strawberry mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until top starts to brown and center is no longer jiggly. Allow to cool for around 30 minutes before serving in squares.
WANT THE LATEST RECIPES FROM LAMBERTS LATELY?
Subscribe to get my latest content straight to your inbox. You'll also receive exclusive access to my collection of printables!