Without a doubt, the most requested recipe that I make on Saturday mornings is Monkey French Toast. It's one of my favorites too – you can't beat a treat like that on the weekends. It's super rich but still packs a lot of flavor. It really is such a great comfort food!
A couple of weeks ago, we had a ton of stale bread sitting around, so Noah and I got a little creative in the kitchen and made a little bit of a spin on the treat I've made for years – and I don't know if we'll be going back. This casserole spin on the recipe is so much easier to whip up the night before and just pop in the oven the next morning. It still has all of the awesome flavors of bananas and peanut butter, but doesn't require the mixing/dipping/pan frying that Monkey French Toast always does. I love that there's no need to stand over a stove for 30 minutes!
If you're a fan of the original Monkey French Toast recipe, you've got to try this one out.
Here's the recipe!
Overnight Monkey French Toast Casserole
- 10 slices of old bread
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 bananas sliced
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2-3 sliced bananas
- In a 200 degree oven, finish drying bread out for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt 1 stick of butter and peanut butter together. Add brown sugar and cook until melted.
- Add bananas and stir for 1-2 minutes, until bananas start to break down. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, spices, and milk together in a large bowl.
- Spread dried bread in a greased 9x13" glass dish. Pour banana mixture over the dried bread. Evenly spread egg mixture over casserole.
- Cover tightly and place in the fridge overnight.
- When you're ready to serve, bake casserole in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, until middle is set and top starts to brown.
- Melt 1/2 cup peanut butter in the microwave in 30 second increments until it is mixable and pourable. Top casserole servings with drizzled peanut butter and bananas.