Yeah, we're going there today. With a couple of numbers.
Before I got pregnant last year, I was actually in great shape. I'd say the best shape I had been in since our wedding day. I was exercising regularly and watching what I ate. I was feeling absolutely wonderful in my own skin for the first time in a long time.
And then, I got pregnant and all of that basically went out the window. Many of you know I have a history of difficult first trimesters; this time around, I had a subchorionic hematoma that forced me to be off my feet for months. Combine that with awful all-day morning sickness that made it next to impossible to eat well (I lived off of sour candy and strawberry soda for about 4 months there) and you have the recipe for a complete reversal of all the work I had done to feel great. By the time I was able to eat normally and start working out again, I was huge (I measured 2-3 weeks ahead most of my pregnancy) and really just didn't feel like doing anything.
Jackson was born on February 9th. As of that day, I'd gained 40 pounds in the 9 months of my pregnancy. And most of that weight came off really quickly...I had lost 15 pounds by the time I came home from the hospital, and another 15 within a few weeks after that. Another 5 pounds came off in the next month or two (I can thank breastfeeding for that extra little bit of weight loss).
But that last 5 pounds? Still there. And. Just. Won't. Leave.
I'd honestly like to lose 10-15 pounds from here. I felt great before I got pregnant, but (as typically happens after a pregnancy) the weight has kind of rearranged itself since this time last year. :) My mid-section definitely looks like I've had 2 bigger babies and I would like to tone up even more than I did in early 2015.
So what am I going to do to accomplish that? Well, I've got a few ideas.
I did a series on yearly goals in 2015 that I really loved. It helped me stay accountable and really, truly helped me accomplish big things in 2015. I'd like to kind of revive that for the remainder of this year, just on a much smaller scale. My biggest goal for the remainder of 2016 is to feel better in my own body.
And, while I have set a goal of losing 10-15 pounds because I'm a crazy numbers person, I want to concentrate more on how I feel than the number on the scale. I want to feel confident and comfortable in my own body again. That's the main goal. The number on the scale is just a means to an end.
So, that's the big-picture goal. And, as I did last year, I'm going to outline the ways I want to accomplish that:
1. Get active. My initial goal is to start working out 2-3 times a week. Totally feasible. This will probably be with workout videos in my living room for the time being (Momma doesn't mess with nap time) but I want to get back into a few classes too. I loved those before I got pregnant!
2. Careful with lunch. Something about lunch just gets me. I don't normally eat a huge breakfast (I honestly just forget most of the time), so by lunch I tend to be so hungry.
3. Watch the snacking. I don't know if it's breastfeeding or the fact that I can actually eat good foods again, but I have become such a snacker lately! I know that a little snack here and there is absolutely killing any chance of losing this last little bit of weight.
I've already really started being more conscious of what I eat in the past few weeks...i.e. not grabbing a handful of candy every time I'm in the kitchen. I'm not going to say I want to completely cut out snacks. More than anything, I want to get to a point where I'm making smart decisions and actually eating the right amount when I'm hungry. So I'd rather focus on eating a wholesome, satisfying snack if I'm truly hungry than completely depriving myself of food at certain times of the day. It's all about balance and moderation!
So, those are my goals for now. I know I want to ramp it up a little bit more as I get closer to my big-picture goal, but I think those are easy ways to start out after a (way too) long break from working towards a better body. Thanks to Lean Pockets for inspiring me to blog this all out!
You can grab this and other awesome flavors of Lean Pockets at Walmart, Target, and most local grocers. Click here for more information on Lean Pockets' fun, innovative flavors! and if you're feeling frugal you can Click here for a $1 coupon from Coupons.com.
Now, who wants to win a $100 Visa gift card? To enter, answer the following question in a comment on this post:
"What simple steps do you do to feel your best?" (Please leave your email address on each entry.)
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 8/15/2016 – 10/15/2016
Be sure to visit the Lean Pockets brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
LEAN POCKETS® is a registered trademark of Société des Produits Nestlé S.A., Vevey, Switzerland.