I will never be one of those women with a home that is show-ready 24/7…that just doesn’t fit our lifestyle. We live in our house. We play, we eat, we cook, we sleep. We make messes. While I do try to keep up with my daily cleaning schedule to keep everything as presentable as possible, you will rarely walk in during the day to see the house out of the magazine…it’s just not realistic.
But, we do all have those times when we need to have a show-ready house as quickly as possible. So, I like to have a plan in place for those times when we find out we’re having last-minute guests over. Here’s the plan I follow…it might work for a few of you out there too!
-If I really don’t have a lot of time (I’m talking like 15 minutes to clean), I like to have a mental list of 5 must-do tidying chores. It’s a very short list of things that can quickly be done around our house to prepare for guests. These really go a long way towards making my house look presentable! For me, I like to…
- Load dishes from the sink into the dishwasher
- Make beds
- Pick up any toys/clothes/junk from the living area floors
- Turn on scented wax cube melts
- Wipe down kitchen counters, tables in living areas
- Fold any clean laundry…make sure dirty laundry is in hampers
- Vacuum all floors (including hard surfaces…more on this later)
- Clean toilets and sinks in the bathrooms
- Make sure front entry is clear of leaves/pine straw
- Dust harder-to-reach surfaces in living areas
- Walk through the house with a cleaning cloth (old burp cloths are awesome for these!) and clean trouble spots (small stains on the walls, messes on surfaces, dusty areas, etc.) with a cleaning solution…I use equal parts water/vinegar and it cleans just about anything!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
WANT TO ACCESS MY FREE COLLECTION OF PRINTABLES?
Subscribe to the Lamberts Lately newsletter for the latest from the blog and access to the newsletter-exclusive printable collection!