I am a massive, massive fan of any kind of dip, and guacamole is no exception. I think I could live off of it. Added bonus: it's actually pretty good for you! Now the fried egg roll wrapper? That's another story - but at least we're adding in some fresh veggies and good fats from the avocado. Progress, right?
There are so many things you could do with this recipe - really any filling under the sun. Making egg rolls is more about the process than the ingredients!
You can honestly make an egg roll out of anything by using a few simple steps...
1. Lay an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface with a corner facing you.
2. Fill the center of the wrapper with about 1/4 cup of a sturdy filling (recipe for guacamole is below).
3. Fold the left and right corners in to touch each other.
4. Fold the corner facing you in to touch the other folded corners, tucking in any loose pieces.
5. Roll the filling towards the back corner. Put a little bit of water on your finger and seal the last remaining corner, then finish rolling your egg roll into shape.
7. Deep fry for 3-5 minutes, until wrapper starts to turn a golden brown color.
8. Drain on paper towels.
I used the following recipe for guacamole. It's adapted off of a few of my favorite recipes from around the Internet!
4 avocados, pitted
juice of 1 lime
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely
1/2 medium red onion, minced
2 small jalapeños, seeded and chopped
salt to taste
Slice the avocado and pour into a bowl. Mash with juice and a little bit of salt. Combine all remaining ingredients, folding into avocado mixture. Add additional salt as needed.
This recipe made about 10 egg rolls. I served these with restaurant-style white queso (using this recipe) and salsa. So yummy - this was a hit at the party I made them for!